by guest blogger Matt Narowski, Director of Software Development
Thirty years ago, an engineering student in Paris by the name of Eric Thomas developed a software program to automate the management of email lists. Up to this point in time, email lists had to be administrated manually, which was a tedious and time-consuming process. Eric Thomas’ email list management program became a success and was named LISTSERV. Over time, the software continued to evolve and as other products were written, the term “listserver” became a generic term for any mail management software.
Fast forward to today, and you will find that a number of companies and groups continue to use listservers to promote community and discussion among their user base. While other tools exist such as Forums and Blogs, nothing beats the convenience of sending an email.
BoldTalk is Bold Technologies’ ListServer. BoldTalk has been in place since August of 2011, and has been and continues to be a great resource for Bold customers by providing a convenient and easy-to-use method for communication with other customers and with Bold staff. Bold users can discuss issues ranging from software and hardware to operating systems and employee management questions, as well as offer opinions, ask general questions of other Bold customers, or just to get the latest news. With over 500 Manitou customers, BoldTalk has a huge resource base for Manitou users to share information with each other.
If you have not joined BoldTalk yet, here is the link where you can subscribe to the list:
Here are some helpful things to know about BoldTalk:
1. To send a message to the user community, you must be subscribed to the mailing list. Once you initially subscribe, a member of the Bold Technologies team must authorize you for the list. This helps to prevent individuals with unscrupulous intentions from using the mailing list for malicious purposes.
2. When you sign up, you have the option to receive the emails in a single-batched daily digest. This is for those individuals who still want to know what is going on with the conversation, but don’t want their inbox to fill up with mail.
3. Once you are subscribed, communicating with the group is as easy as sending an email to [email protected].
4. Emails need to be kept small in size. Please don’t email large pictures or your post will be rejected. Messages need to be kept to 75K or smaller.
5. Please read the rules and etiquette page. This describes the general rules for the mailing list. Following the rules is for the benefit of the whole user community. The page can be found at this link: https://support.boldgroup.com/media/Docs/Info/BoldTalk_Rules_and_Etiquette.htm.
6. BoldTalk has an archive of past posts. You can find the archive at this link: https://lists.boldgroup.com/mailman/private/boldtalk_lists.boldgroup.com/.
Thank you to everyone who has subscribed to BoldTalk. We appreciate having you as a valued member of our user community!